Sunday, April 1, 2007

Continued from: Happier Times Will Come.

There is so much in store for today!

Feed the horses, groom them, talk to the gelding about not being afraid of his saddle pad. Rubbing it all over him and telling him "you are such a good boy!" and that he likes this saddle pad on his back. "No, Josh, you cannot eat the saddle pad!"
I am beginning to wonder why he has to chew on everything. Then realize, isn't that what babies do? Everything they smell, they eat. Yes, tasting things and smelling things to learn what life is all about. Must be why he likes to chew on my coat. To get to know my scent. Well, hmm then I realize something else!! Since he is a baby, going on five this year, he must be teething. I touch his nose so he'll smile and open his mouth. YES! That's it! I see he is getting new teeth. That is why he is chewing everything to bits and pieces. Time to call the dentist....oh boy...I cannot wait to get that bill!

Later in the day I try again to get him to walk through water. (He will eventually, when he is ready) When he decides he can trust me he will walk in the water.
No, he decided he would rather run me over than walk through the puddle that is not even up to my ankles!!! OK horse! You are a 1000+ pound animal and you are afraid of a little puddle? So in order to get him not to run me over I bend my arm and stick my elbow straight out so it is touching him just below his whithers. He feels it there as he presses into it and he knows he is not going to win the fight with me. I am the boss and am much bigger than him because I carry a whip. (I use the whip only in times of trouble, no worries) I talk to him, telling him it's OK. One day you'll walk in the water. Hours upon endless hours we could keep going through this and one day he will understand.

He thinks there are big green boogie monsters in the trees just past the field. Big scary monsters that only eat big black geldings. The other two horses are mares, one brown and the other white. They are older nearing their 20's. They snicker at Josh for being such a baby. They let him know he is the baby, every chance they get!

I have learned a lot and come to more than my share of realizations in my life with horses.
Horses that trust you will follow you no matter what puddle or pile of poop you stand in.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

crazyauntpurl said...

I love this line,
"Horses that trust you will follow you no matter what puddle or pile of poop you stand in."

That made my whole day :)